Online Banking Login
The Bank of Personal Service
More in this Section:
The City National Bank of Metropolis was chartered in June of 1907 and opened for business in July of the same year with $50,000.00 in capital and deposits of $20,000.00.
The bank was first located in the W.H. Kraper building on Sixth and Market Streets and started with five employees.
The founders quickly developed plans to construct a permanent bank building on the corner of Fifth and Ferry Streets, which still houses the main location of City National Bank today. The building was completed in 1909 for a cost of $15,000.00. It consisted of three entrances, two teller windows (one for business and one for talking), a vault, and a work area. In addition to the banking area, a beauty shop was located on the first floor, and the second floor was used by various businesses.
As City National Bank progressed, remodeling and enlarging the building was necessary to accommodate the needs of the growing bank. However, because of World War II, the actual renovation was delayed until 1947. This first major remodeling increased the number of teller windows to five, and the bank expanded to include the entire ground floor, more than doubling it in size.
Other remodeling and construction projects have improved and added amenities to the building, with the largest and most recent building expansion being completed in 1996, when a two-story, 3,800 square foot addition was built on the west side of the bank. At the same time, the interior was remodeled. To complement the appearance of the original facade, the bank ordered limestone blocks from the same general area near Bedford, IN where the blocks for the original building were purchased.
In August 2006, construction of a branch location of City National Bank was completed near the intersection of U.S. Highway 45 and Interstate 24. This 4,000 square foot, state-of-the-art building provides full-service banking with lobby teller windows, drive-through lanes, loan offices, and a safe deposit box vault.
As of August 2012, City National bank has 48 employees.
In the past 105 years, seven men have served as President of City National Bank:
- Cyrus P. Treat, 1907-1914
- L. G. Simmons, 1914-1943
- Lindell W. Sturgis, 1943-1972
- Raymond Wehrmeyer, 1972-1976
- Lester Mittendorf, 1976-1994
- Tom Pullen, 1994-2005
- Thomas F. Mittendorf, 2005-present
The current Board of Directors consists of Rick Kotter, Earl Marlman, Thomas Mittendorf, Tom Pullen, Steve Vogt, James Walters, Jr and Rodger Harrison.
Throughout the years, the Boards of Directors, officers, and employees of City National Bank have continued to demonstrate the same faith and confidence in Metropolis and Massac County that was originally expressed by the founders of the bank.